As social media platforms mature and find their audience, each are beginning to have their own distinct cache. For brand marketers and advertisers, all of the core marketing principles apply: target, target, target & know thyself.
- Facebook still skews young, but the 45 to 54-year-old age bracket has seen 45% growth since year-end 2012. More than 75% of U.S. college-educated people use Facebook; higher than the 67% across all education levels.
- Instagram: Sixty-eight percent of Instagram’s users are women, according to Appdata.
- Twitter has a surprisingly young user population for a large social network. It is popular with news junkies in urban areas.
- LinkedIn is international and skews toward male users. Sixty-one percent of its users are men, and 64% are based outside of the U.S.
- Google+ is the most male-oriented of the major social networks. It’s 70% male.
- Pinterest is dominated by tablet users, and 84% of U.S. Pinterest users are women.
- Tumblr is strong with teens and young adults interested in self-expression.